HealthCareMagic is now Ask A Doctor - 24x7 |


Hello, I Am A Healthy 44 Year Old Non-smoking Female.

Posted on Thu, 23 Jun 2022
Question: Hello, I am a healthy 44 year old non-smoking female. I am having a rather strange thing happening to me that I’m hoping you can help me with. About 3 days ago I was getting an odd tingling sensation in the area where I think my bladder is. This is going to sound really odd and embarrassing, but it actually feels like I am going to have an orgasm, but I am not thinking about or doing anything sexual. I am just doing ordinary activities.

This feeling went away for a day or two, but then last night it started again and has been happening today. To be honest, it is actually really uncomfortable and getting on my nerves. I spoke with a doctor this afternoon and she said she suspects I have a UTI. I have been feeling like I need to urinate a little more frequently. It does not sting when I go. Urinating does not really help this feeling. Since we are under covid restrictions where I live, I did not get to see the doctor in person. She had me press on my bladder area and at that time it kind of stung and felt like I needed to urinate. I have had MANY UTIs, but I have never had this sensation before. The doctor had me do a urine sample and has put me on Macrobid 2 times a day for 7 days. She said to call back tomorrow if my symptoms get worse.

I had a pelvic and abdominal ultrasound and a CT scan on October 18 for something unrelated (looking for appendicitis). The results were all normal.

I was wondering if you have ever heard of these type of symptom before being related to a UTI? Could it be hormonal? I am very concerned that something else is wrong and this feeling won’t stop.

I am on Marvelon (I have been on it for many years). I also take Bisoprolol, Dexilant and Wellbutrin. I have been on all of these medications for years.
I have not changed anything in my diet, etc.

I am very worried about this.
Thank you
Follow up: Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar (22 minutes later)
I forgot to mention I am also feeling a burning and tingling sensation in what feels like the vaginal area
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar (5 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Nothing to be worried about .

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your query, Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have what is called as Over Active Bladder (OAB) associated with UTI.

Get your routine urine test and urine culture done to find out the organisms causing this infection and antibiotics to which they are sensitive to.

Take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like
Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkaliser thrice daily. Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Taking anti muscarinic drug like Merabegrone 25 mg twice daily will help to resolve the issue .It will take 10 days to observe the results and will need to take Merabegrone for 4-6 weeks .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions, I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.

Note: For further follow up on related General & Family Physician Click here.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2004

Answered : 2241 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

159 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Hello, I Am A Healthy 44 Year Old Non-smoking Female.

I forgot to mention I am also feeling a burning and tingling sensation in what feels like the vaginal area