HealthCareMagic is now Ask A Doctor - 24x7 |


Hey Doctor So For The Last 4 Weeks I Have

Posted on Mon, 6 Jan 2020
Question: Hey doctor so for the last 4 weeks I have had a Candida Albicans infection. I underwent treatment with an antifungal and then Hydrozole cream for 3 weeks then an oral Fluconazole 150mg in the last week since it wasn’t clearing up. I have mainly being getting symptoms such as redness/dryness on the penis glans and foreskin. Now originally I thought it was just the Candida infection causing this thus why it wasn’t getting better with treatment and why the treatment went on so long however at the same time I have been having sex with my partner with condoms during the last month. So then today I visited my GP for a follow up on all this and she believes the Candida infection has indeed been cleared we have done another swab to confirm so I will have to wait for that. However she believes the symptoms of the redness and dryness I’ve been getting after sex may be a sensitivity or allergy to the condoms I’ve been using.

So far I have been using these three I have linked below and the first time I had ever had sex was 3 months ago and over the last three months I’ve been having a gradual build up of symptoms of redness, dryness and irritation.

Skyn Original Condoms:

Skyn Ultra Thin Condoms:

Lifestyle Zero Uber Thin Condoms:

Is there any alternatives to these that fit in a similar way that may be worth trying that I won’t have a allergy to? Also in addition would it be ok to use something like QV lotion on the glans and foreskin to help with the dryness would this be okay to use even if I roll my foreskin back over? I just don’t want to bring back up the Candida infection. Would it be worth using a steroid cream/QV lotion or could I just use the lotion for now?

QV Lotion:
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (3 minutes later)
To add to this on Saturday morning I had a really bad flare up after having sex using the Skyn original Condom the first one I linked. My penis glans where super red and they were throbbing in pain. It’s gotten a bit better over the last 3 days and I haven’t had any sex since then but it’s just a bit red still and dry as well.
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Use lamb intestines condoms.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome Ask a doctor's service.
I read your query and here is my advice.

I believe your symptoms are related to latex allergy or contact dermatitis.
I think you should use non latex condoms or from lamb skin intestines, natural lamb may be a type of condom suitable for you.
Also you may need to use corticosteroid cream to reduce redness.
Using coconut oil for lubrification may be a good idea.

Hope I have answered the question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (2 hours later)
Hey doctor thank you for the reply I have also tried the Skyn condom which is a non latex condom and that actually caused the most issues for me.

Just to follow up would it okay to use the QV lotion for the dryness on my foreskin? Especially when I am rolling it back it’s quite flaky my only concern is if the QV lotion will cause a yeast infection?
Follow up: Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (21 minutes later)
Or would something like this be helpful?

https://www XXXXXXX

I just need something that will re moisturiser my glans and inner foreskin when I retract as I think the allergy may have made it really dry what can you recommend For me?
Answered by Dr. Olgeta Xhufka (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Use qv lotion or coconut oil.

Detailed Answer:
You can use qv lotion because petroleum gely is most unallergic and natural approach.
Also you can use coconut oil to moisturise it.
Note: Hope the answers resolves your concerns, however for further guidance of skin related queries consult our Dermatologist.Click here to book a consultation

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Answered by
Dr. Olgeta Xhufka

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2011

Answered : 10152 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer