I have read your query and suggest that he (your friend) has to have a colonoscopy
As my experience goes, such bouts of severe pain
are usually caused due to the complications of IBS
like ulcerative colitis
which can be easily diagnosed by a colonoscopy.
I suggest to discuss with a gastroenterologist and get a colonoscopy done such that a suitable treatment is possible.
For prevention of relapse, I will surely suggest having following medicines of Ayurveda with due discussion and monitoring of an Ayurvedic Physician.
1. Dadimashtaka Churna with freshly prepared buttermilk.
2. Bilagy linctus.
3. Drakshadi Kashayam.
My suggestion on diet during the period of treatment is
1. Avoid the use of milk, curds and milk products (except freshly prepared buttermilk).
2. Avoid use of liquor, high fiber diet, cocoa, caffeine and high protein diet.
3. Vegetables belonging to cucurbitaceae like ash gourd, ridged gourd, snake gourd, etc. can be taken regularly.
4. Intake of a mild protein diet like soups of a whole green gram, sprouted green gram is beneficial.
5. A regular and timely diet with good sleep is always advisable in this condition.
Start with these dietary changes initially during the treatment from a Gastroenterologist and continue it along with prescribed Ayurvedic medicine also.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Mahesh T.S.,